Monday, May 11, 2009
Ever wondered about the steps necessary before you can purchase a firearm? Go through the short list below and see if you are ready to get that firearm you've been dying to own.
1. Gun laws vary in each state. Remember to know the age requirement for guns.
-Be a legal resident of the state.
-An ID or Driver’s license to prove residency.
-No felon record or any other types of serious offenses.
2. Before you have all papers and requirement ready, be sure that you have already chosen and prepared for the type of gun and its cost.
Hunting = Rifles / Shotguns
Home Security = Handguns
Sportsmen = Long guns / Handguns
3. Find a licensed firearms dealer in your area; sporting goods stores, gun shops, gun shows or online gun shops. Find someone that you can trust too.
4. Once you have the right gun dealer, ask if you can have the gun inspected. Most likely, gun dealers will allow you.
5. A paperwork is required for you to fill out. It is necessary to ensure that you don’t have any record that will prevent you from owning a firearm. The background check will be done by the NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System).
6. Lastly, make sure that you have the patience to wait. This is necessary since some states require a holding period of the firearm first before it is sent to you. If the state you live in doesn’t have that rule, you can take your new gun home right away.